Best Thermal Paste 2018 – Buyer’s Guide
An integral part of any computer is its cooling system. Everyone who builds their own computers for quite a while knows what I am talking about here. However, if you are new to this, it can be pretty confusing to you. A good quality thermal paste is an essential part of it.
In today’s article, I will share with you the best thermal pastes out there in the market as of now. I will also give you the positive and negative points about them. I have tried and tested the items on the list, so you can be sure of the authenticity of the products.
- 1 Best Thermal Paste 2018
- 1.1 1. ARCTIC MX-4 Thermal Compound Paste:
- 1.2 2. Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme:
- 1.3 3. Noctua Nt-H1 Thermal Compound:
- 1.4 4. Arctic Silver 5 Thermal:
- 1.5 5. EGC High-Performance Thermal Paste:
- 1.6 6. Cooler Master High-Performance Thermal Paste:
- 1.7 7. Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Thermal Grease Paste:
- 1.8 8. Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra Thermal Paste:
Best Thermal Paste 2018
I have chosen six thermal pastes for this article.
1. ARCTIC MX-4 Thermal Compound Paste:
The ARCTIC MX-4 is arguably the best thermal paste out there on the market. It is the successor of the Arctic Silver 5 and is made by the same brand Arctic.
The product has an 8.5 W/mK conductivity rating. That is a bit lower than its predecessor. It does not contain any metal such as silver as well.
However, despite all of its shortcomings, the thermal paste gives a better performance than the Arctic Silver 5.
- It is not electrically conductive, therefore, you don’t have to worry about short circuits
- The product is compatible with nitrogen, liquid, air coolers, and compression
- You can even tackle overlock temperatures without any trouble
- 8.5 W/mK conductivity rating is lower than its predecessor, the Arctic Silver 5
- On the expensive side of the spectrum
2. Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme:
One of the thermal paste that would be best suited for anyone is the Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme.
The product, despite its low conductivity ratings, has a better performance than the Krayonaut thermal paste, which is a very good one. It has a lower price tag as well.
- The temperatures this product delivers are similar to that of thermal pastes of higher conductivity ratings such as Krayonaut with 12.5 W/mK conductivity rating. The Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme holds a conductivity rating of 8.5 W/mK
- Just like the aforementioned product, this one is also not electrically conductive. This adds to its safety as there are no risks of short circuits
- Compatible with liquid nitrogen cooling systems. The thermal paste can dissipate and transfer at the same speed as well
- It takes a bit more product to achieve the result than its competitors
- Leaves stringers
3. Noctua Nt-H1 Thermal Compound:
Another amazing thermal paste you can check out is the Noctua Nt-H1 Thermal Compound. The product is similar to that of Arctic Silver 5, however, this one has corrected the flaws the other one had. So, you get a better product at a similar price.
- The best part about the Noctua Nt-H1 Thermal Compound is its durability and brilliant performance. You can be sure that it will last you many years with a smooth performance
- The thermal paste was manufactured in a way so that it can be ideal for compressor cooling systems and liquid cooling systems. Therefore, if you have a compressed cooling system and liquid cooling system, this one is your best friend.
- The installation process is very much simple, and it’s easy to use as well
- The Noctua Nt-H1 overheats pretty easily
4. Arctic Silver 5 Thermal:
One of the oldest and widely trusted products on the list is the Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste. Even though it has its own set of disadvantages, it still is a very good product worth checking out.
- The thermal paste has an 8.9 W/mK conductivity rating. The rating is the same with many of the newer products that are out there on the market
- Contains fine silver particle, which is an excellent heat dissipator. As a result, you will get much higher thermal conductivity
- You can use it on liquid-based systems and compressed based systems even it being a metallic thermal paste. The reason behind it is the product does not contract or expand after it has been set
- Even though the product is non-electrically conductive, it can cause short circuits. The reason behind is the silver particles
5. EGC High-Performance Thermal Paste:
The EGC High-Performance Thermal Paste is one other product to look at. It is best suited for the people who are only starting on the work of building their own computers. The thermal conductivity rating of the product is 5.15 W/mK.
- Good enough heat transfer and heat dissipation abilities
- It can cover up to 30 CPU cores
- Easy to use
- Low thermal conductivity rating of 5.15 W/mK, many thermal pastes on this list have way higher thermal conductivity ratings than this one
- Comes in a lower quantity
6. Cooler Master High-Performance Thermal Paste:
Another nice thermal paste that you can buy for your purposes is the Cooler Master High-Performance Thermal Paste. The product is perfectly suitable for use in CPU, VGA card, chipsets on Mainboard, and so on. It has a vast range of application temperature. The thermal paste has a Zif socket template that lets you connect properly with different CPU sockets.
- Amazing heat transfer and heat dissipate capabilities, can handle temperatures of up to 177-degree Celcius or 350 F
- High thermal conductivity can tackle even immense overclocking conditions with ease
- Has a vast range of application temperature, giving you more control
- The product can cause short circuits
- Its performance decreases after extended usage
7. Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Thermal Grease Paste:
One of the most eminent names on the thermal paste market is the Thermal Grizzly. Their Conductonaut thermal grease paste is for the people who are experienced in their usage. If heat dissipation is your primary concern, this product is definitely made for you.
- Brilliant 73 W/mK thermal conductivity rating makes it good enough for any job that comes in its field
- Helps your cooler and processor efficient in tackle overclocking problems
- Can tackle heat with ease and heat dissipation is second to none
- Perfect for working with liquid-based cooling systems
- The thermal paste is not compatible with aluminum. The reason behind this is the presence of gallium in the paste
- The product can cause short circuits, it is suggested to use it with caution
- Does not work very efficiently with compressor-based cooling systems and with liquid nitorgen
- The product is difficult to clean
8. Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra Thermal Paste:
Another big player in the game, Coollaboratory, has a nice product under their belt. This is the Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra Thermal Paste. It delivers the high-temperature performance similar to that of liquid metal. However, it is much easier to install adding to its benefits. Also, the product is extremely safe to use.
- High conductivity rating of 38.4 W/mK. As a result, it can transfer it with ease even while it is on overlock sessions
- Has a great heat transfer capacity, making it a good product to buy
- The Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra Thermal Paste is easy to install and use
- Not compatible with compressed based systems and liquid-based systems, as well as with aluminum
- The product takes quite a bit of time to alloy with metals such as copper
These are the best thermal paste out there on the market in 2017. If you have any more questions in mind, or if you want me to talk about something else, do let me know in the comments section below.